- Download the "installer-ipodclassic.ubi" file from the emCORE Releases page
- Save it to the 64MB-sized "UMSboot" volume
- Eject that volume
use the "eject" command "e.g. eject /dev/sdb"
- Follow the on-screen instructions
If everything worked right, you should now see the emCORE boot menu. If not, please ask for support.
- Choose the "Rockbox" option
- Wait for Rockbox to boot (Complaints about the rockbox.ipod file being missing are normal at this point.)
Even though Rockbox starts, the installation is not complete yet. Continue reading and following the instructions to the end of the page!
- Wait for the iPod's hard disk drive to connect and become accessible
- Download the "rockbox-ipodclassic.zip" file from the emCORE Releases page
- Extract its contents to the root directory of your iPod's hard disk drive
- Safely eject (or unmount on Linux) your iPod's hard disk drive
- Disconnect your iPod from your PC
- Wait for Rockbox to return to the main menu (may take around half a minute)
- Shut down Rockbox by holding the play button for several seconds
Congratulations, you have successfully installed emCORE and Rockbox!
If you don't want to see the bootmenu every time you power on your iPod, you can use Tools->Settings to set a default boot option (Rockbox, UMSboot, etc.)